Permits, Licenses, Zoning and Land use matters

The City of Gem Lake requires that anyone performing work within the City must first obtain a permit before the work is started. A contractor that is not licensed by the State of Minnesota also will be required to obtain a City license. Land use matters such as re-zoning, subdivision of land and other such activities also require a request form. Other business and home activities are also licensed by the City. See the City of Gem Lake fee schedule, on this web site for the fee required for all permits and licenses.

All permits and licenses can be obtained at the City of Gem Lake City Hall (Heritage Hall)  located at 4200 Otter Lake Road, Gem Lake, on the corner of Goose Lake Road and Otter Lake Road in Gem Lake.

           City of Gem Lake 
           4200 Otter Lake Road 
           Gem LakeMN 55110
           Phone 651-747-2790    FAX  651-747-2795
     Hours of operation 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.  Monday – Thursday, closed Fridays. 

Construction Permits and Inspections

The City of Gem Lake requires that anyone performing work within the city must first obtain a permit. Work or activity done without a permit may be subject to fine and removal. You may download a copy of the permit application from this web site page.
The following activities require a permit:

  • Building/remodeling
  • Roofing/Siding
  • Plumbing
  • Electrical
  • Sewer & water connections
  • Septic removal/sewer connections
  • ISTS (Septic system) construction or re-construction
  • Mechanical/Heating
  • Grading
  • Signs
  • Tree removal
  • Wetland Alteration
  • Erosion and Stormwater control
  • Driveways
  • Relocation of Buildings
  • Burning

Contact the City of Gem Lake building inspector if you have questions.

Zoning , Subdivision and other Land Use Matters

Any of the following listed activities requires an application to the City of Gem Lake and payment of related fees.  Contact the City of Gem Lake Zoning Administrator if you need help or advice.

  • Rezoning of land
  • Zoning Ordinance amendment
  • Comprehensive Plan amendment
  • Planned Unit Development (PUD)
  • Variance
  • Sub-division of land
  • Conditional or Interim Use permit
  • EAW/EIS (Environmental permits)
  • Appeals or adjustments

The forms for most of these actions are provided on this Website. Complete the form and return it to the City of Gem Lake.  The Building Inspector or the Zoning Administrator will help answer your questions.

City of Gem Lake 
4200 Otter Lake Road 
Gem Lake, MN 55110
Phone 651-747-2790    FAX  651-747-2795

Hours of operation 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Monday – Thursday, closed Fridays

NOTE:  Most of the Zoning matters identified here will require public hearings and appearances before the City of Gem Lake Planning Commission and/or the City Council before approval will be given. The City Council of the City of Gem Lake is the final authority that can give final approval on all Zoning Matters.

City Licenses and other charges

The following city licenses and charges are also handled by the City of Gem Lake:

  • Dog license Dog License Application City of Gem Lake
  • Kennels
  • Stables
  • False Alarm charges
  • Working in right-of-way permit
  • Rental unit charges
  • On-Sale Liquor license
  • 3.2 malt liquor license
  • Off-sale liquor license
  • Retail Tobacco reseller
  • Adult use business license
  • Special home occupation permit
  • Pawnbroker license
  • Amusement device license
  • Contractor license (if not State of Minnesota licensed)

City of Gem Lake
4200 Otter Lake Road
Gem LakeMN 55110
Phone 651-747-2790    FAX  651-747-2795
Hours of operation  7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday – Thursday, closed Fridays

Conditional Use Permits

Conditional Use Permit Application 11 2018

Interim Use Permits

Interim Use Permit Application November 2018

Comments are closed